AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 10 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#106New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:37:21
@Xilmwa Said

If you think Windows is the most advanced OS on the market, you need to seriously have your head examined, because only one thing keeps Windows on top: FEAR.

Most advanced? In some ways.

Best desktop OS? For me, absolutely.

I feel extremely confident in saying that I have an ass-ton more experience and expertise with many more operating systems than you do. Feel free to question my knowledge or experience.

But beware if you're going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, and that you know better. Those are big words, and you should think about whether you can back them up before saying them.

@Xilmwa Said
you idiots don't realize...

I'd also caution you to beware before calling other people idiots.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#107New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:37:49
You are right, but I still don't agree with it.

Hmm....gues why that's why my bootup says Mandriva.

The only thing Windows has in my life is a boot option.

I guess I got too use to GPL and actually started to enjoy freedom.

DAMN THE FREEDOM!!!!!!

Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#108New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:38:46
@Xilmwa Said

THEIR CODE? Ya, sure, it may be their code,

You could have stopped right there. Yes, it's their code. They own the copyright. It's theirs, and no one else's. And no one else can use it except by the terms of the license agreement to which they agreed when they accepted the delivery of the code.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#109New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:39:29
@jonnythan Said

Most advanced? In some ways.

Best desktop OS? For me, absolutely.

I feel extremely confident in saying that I have an ass-ton more experience and expertise with many more operating systems than you do. Feel free to question my knowledge or experience.

But beware if you're going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, and that you know better. Those are big words, and you should think about whether you can back them up before saying them.

I'd also caution you to beware before calling other people idiots.

If words can offend people that easily and they can take legal action we:

A) need to excersize the 1st ammendment right (unless of course, you are in the guy's home)
B) need to get the guy into anger management.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#110New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:41:02
@jonnythan Said

You could have stopped right there. Yes, it's their code. They own the copyright. It's theirs, and no one else's. And no one else can use it except by the terms of the license agreement to which they agreed when they accepted the delivery of the code.

no s***. whatsoever.

I just prefer licenses that tell me I have freedom to use my computer. Unlike this:

"You have some rights under this supplemental EULA. All other rights are reserved by Microsoft."

compare that statement with JUST THE PREAMBLE to GPLv3.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#111New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:41:47
@Xilmwa Said

You are right, but I still don't agree with it.

Hmm....gues why that's why my bootup says Mandriva.

The only thing Windows has in my life is a boot option.

I guess I got too use to GPL and actually started to enjoy freedom.

DAMN THE FREEDOM!!!!!!

Even the GPL puts specific limits on your freedom.

The GPL is exactly the same as the Microsoft EULA - it allows you to use the copyrighted code, but only under certain conditions.

The GPL places conditions on you the exact same way the MS EULA does. The GPL requires you to provide source code and forbids you from placing certain restrictions on the code that you write and own.

Many would argue that the BSD license is much more about freedom than the GPL license. The BSD license places no such restrictions on the user.

But they're all licenses that conform to the copyright laws of the US. The GPL absolutely relies on US copyright law to exist.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#112New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:43:56
@jonnythan Said

Even the GPL puts specific limits on your freedom.

The GPL is exactly the same as the Microsoft EULA - it allows you to use the copyrighted code, but only under certain conditions.

The GPL places conditions on you the exact same way the MS EULA does. The GPL requires you to provide source code and forbids you from placing certain restrictions on the code that you write and own.

Many would argue that the BSD license is much more about freedom than the GPL license. The BSD license places no such restrictions on the user.

But they're all licenses that conform to the copyright laws of the US. The GPL absolutely relies on US copyright law to exist.

No s***. However, I typically like to think that if I make an effort to have something available to the user as Open-Source, the code will stay that way.

In all actuality, I wish people were less greedy (that means you ballmer) and work towards the common good.

Hell, even Apple has the kernel of their OS as OSS.
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#113New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:45:09
interesting
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#114New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:47:43
@Xilmwa Said

No s***. However, I typically like to think that if I make an effort to have something available to the user as Open-Source, the code will stay that way.

The only way you can accomplish that is by placing restrictions on the user through the use of a license agreement.

The Microsoft license agreement allows you to use the code under certain conditions.

The GPL allows you to use the code under certain conditions.

The "conditions" in each case are of course different, but both the GPL and Microsoft EULA are typical license agreements. If you allow one, you must allow the other. If you disagree with the whole system, you have the BSD license, which does not require that the source stay open down the line.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#115New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:50:14
@Delta62 Said

interesting

They are completely in their own worlds.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#116New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:52:45
@jonnythan Said

The only way you can accomplish that is by placing restrictions on the user through the use of a license agreement.

The Microsoft license agreement allows you to use the code under certain conditions.

The GPL allows you to use the code under certain conditions.

The "conditions" in each case are of course different, but both the GPL and Microsoft EULA are typical license agreements. If you allow one, you must allow the other. If you disagree with the whole system, you have the BSD license, which does not require that the source stay open down the line.

Actually, you are wrong on one thing.

Microsoft's EULA puts restrictions on binaries, not code. They have complete TOP SECRET file on code or something.

GPL allows freedom for users. GPL doesn't care about users. GPL is aimed at developers. Mostly greedy developers.
emoric On January 02, 2010

Deleted
Banned

lol :D, Indiana
#117New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:56:01
oh noes

Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#118New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 01:58:24
@cGobla Said

They are completely in their own worlds.

yea want to grab a coffee?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#119New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 02:01:31
@Xilmwa Said

Actually, you are wrong on one thing.

Microsoft's EULA puts restrictions on binaries, not code. They have complete TOP SECRET file on code or something.

GPL allows freedom for users. GPL doesn't care about users. GPL is aimed at developers. Mostly greedy developers.

Well that's true. Microsoft doesn't license the Windows code to many people. Only a few select companies and individuals have any access to any Windows source code.

Doesn't matter what they're licensing though. They're licensing you copyrighted material under a set of restrictions, just like the GPL.

Of course the GPL allows you more freedoms with the licensed copyrighted information. But you said you disagree with the system and, without the system, the GPL could not exist.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#120New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 02:07:18
@Delta62 Said

yea want to grab a coffee?

Ok I want white chocolate mocha!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 10 · >>

5 browsing (0 members - 5 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs