Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#1New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 18:51:10
Quote:
Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Starbucks Corp., the world's largest chain of coffee shops, may violate federal election laws if it follows through with a promise to give free coffee tomorrow to those who vote.

Election officials in the state of Washington told the Seattle-based coffee chain that federal law prohibits payment of money, goods or services in return for voting, said David Ammons, spokesman for the Washington secretary of state.

``Federal law makes no distinction between cups of coffee or a raffle ticket versus a buy-the-vote kind of thing on the other end of the spectrum,'' Ammons said today in an interview. ``We just told Starbucks, essentially, no good deed goes unpunished. We appreciate the gesture, but it's forbidden.''
The story

How is that buying votes? It's not like they say if you vote for Obama, or vote for McCain, just so long as you vote?
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 18:53:47
If anything, I'd say it's a good thing. Stupis Starbucks haters
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 18:54:05
They're offering to pay you if you voted.

That's buying votes. Apparently it doesn't matter whether you endorse a candidate while buying a vote. It's illegal to buy a vote.

I imagine that if it were legal to buy votes, someone could go out and, for instance, pay poor people to vote, knowing that poor people overwhelmingly vote Democrat.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#4New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 18:57:55
Im gonna go get my free Starbucks today! Ben & Jerry's is also giving free icecream today
40isnotsobad On December 07, 2010

Houston, Texas
#5New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 18:59:37
Hmmm...I never thought about it as buying votes...and I don't drink coffee anyway so I wasn't planning to go there...now Ben & Jerry's giving away free ice cream is another story!
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#6New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:01:23
Yup apparently Eat n Park is giving away free coffee too and Krispy Kream is giving away free doughnuts.
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#7New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:01:23
A non-vote is still a choice, if you think about it. You are choosing to not cast a ballot, whether it be because you do not feel well enough informed, you are just expressing displeasure at the raft of candidates to choose from, or any other reason.

The promise of a coffee if you vote is an attempt to change your vote from 'no-preference' to 'unspecified preference', and hence is a bought vote.

I believe the absolute limit of what you can do to bring out the vote is to remove obstacles that otherwise stood in the way of people voting how they wish. i.e. you could take a coach down to Harlem and say 'anyone that wants to vote, hop on and we'll take you to the polling station', just as long as you didn't offer any incentive beyond transportation to the polling place.
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#8New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:03:36
A loophole is to set up stand near a polling place and give free coffee to everyone regardless of whether they voted or not.

I believe that would be legal. Then it's just geographic co-incidence.

Once there for the free coffee, people are more likely to decide, of their own will, that they would like to vote. People already intending to vote are also more likely to stay out in the cold waiting to vote if they have a hot coffee.

Ways and means, ways and means.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#9New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:03:37
@squirt_aka_casey Said

Yup apparently Eat n Park is giving away free coffee too and Krispy Kream is giving away free doughnuts.

wow, today can be a all day food fest, I gotta finf all these locations in my area and make the rounds, lol
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#10New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:07:31
@ministumblin Said

A loophole is to set up stand near a polling place and give free coffee to everyone regardless of whether they voted or not.

I believe that would be legal. Then it's just geographic co-incidence.

Once there for the free coffee, people are more likely to decide, of their own will, that they would like to vote. People already intending to vote are also more likely to stay out in the cold waiting to vote if they have a hot coffee.

Ways and means, ways and means.

One lady was mad at the polling place that I went to because they weren't passing out coffee, and she was out of the coffee she brought from home

I guess all the companies are getting around it by not asking their customers if they did or didn't vote, and not requiring them to prove it.

I guess as long as the person just comes in and says "hey, I voted" whether or not they did, that's ok.
mrscoob On January 21, 2009

Paducah, Kentucky
#11New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:15:46
August:

Barack Obama's campaign is currently in full vote-buying mode. A vote for him, he promises, is a vote for a $1,000 check.

Is that buying a vote?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:18:31
@mrscoob Said

August:

Barack Obama's campaign is currently in full vote-buying mode. A vote for him, he promises, is a vote for a $1,000 check.

Is that buying a vote?

*sighs* Evidence?
charger On October 01, 2009

bricktown,
#13New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:26:49
@jonnythan Said

They're offering to pay you if you voted.

That's buying votes. Apparently it doesn't matter whether you endorse a candidate while buying a vote. It's illegal to buy a vote.

I imagine that if it were legal to buy votes, someone could go out and, for instance, pay poor people to vote, knowing that poor people overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

well isnt that what Obama has done by inferring a robin hood stance of spreading the wealth around? We want handouts, and he will deliver....gimme, gimme, gimme!

certainly not a dumb move on his part exploiting the poor, and ignorant and lazy! Probrobly the most exercise some of those voters will get all year, going to vote!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#14New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:26:51
@mrscoob Said

August:

Is that buying a vote?

Why don't you ask John McCain.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 04, 2008 @ 19:27:50
@crazychica Said

*sighs* Evidence?

Do I have to ask again? You made the accusation so prove it!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs